Thursday, December 22, 2005

A-Hunting We Will Go.....

for good beer and a chance to rest.


We arrive in the car park where my little camera can't quite capture the details of the signage.
Suffice to say, the permanent beer is Theakstons so it is painted up.


Note the landing lights around the entrance to the Inn; presuably these help guide the low-flying beer fanatics in on dull days. (I have to say the Old Men weren't at their table today, but there were some serious beeries and a few gits as well as a ridiculously sexy beer-maiden enjoying a pint with her friends.)
Start with a pint of Rooster's; typically they serve Rooster's Yankee, but today it was Leghorn, a rich,pale ale of 4.3% strength.
I got curious about Abbeydale 'Last Rites';the gravestone on the sign says 'ABV 11%', which makes this beer as strong as wine. Unless the staff knows you they won't give you more than a half pint in one go. I was curious about the flavour but couldn't drink a whole one, so they gave me a spirit-glass to taste. It was warm, glowing, honeyed richness; an absolute delight, in fact.

Then I finished with a pint of ordinary 3.8% Theakston's Best Bitter.
Did I say 'ordinary'?
I meant 'excellent'; since the Theakston brothers bought their brewery back from Scottish& Newcastle Breweries, the quality of the 'best bitter' has been exceptional. Like Last Rites 'lite'.
Gorgeous.

No comments: