Saturday, July 02, 2005

Identity Confirmed

If there were any lingering doubts as to the truly wretched moral stature of Pinky and Perky, it was eliminated in the next few days.
First came yet another phone call from Pinky.
He said something unpleasant under cover of 'humour', as usual, although I could sense the gritted teeth.
Then he said,"I'm going to send you a Patent Cooperation Treaty.We'd be obliged if you sign it and return it as soon as possible. Of course if you want to be totally vindictive(italics mine),it's no skin off our nose. We'll just take your name off the patent."
The letter duly arrived.
Then this e-mail:Dear Veruca

Further to my letter of the 17th November 04 and your discussions with Pinky and subsequent
telephone message, I would be grateful if you could confirm that you will be signing and sending
back to me the Patent Cooperation Treaty form. It is in your interest to sign it given that without signing
it you will not be able to include reference to any patents on your cv and also your name will not be included
on any subsequent patent amendments or new patents relating to the microchip project. Both Pinky and I agreed
that we would maintain your name on all patents relating to the microchip, but without signing the form that we sent
to you, this will not be possible. We have already filed the PCT and have been given several days to forward any related documentation, one of which is the PCT form that I sent to you. I must also remind you that previously you assigned all rights to ******* and have signed a document stating this for which we paid you £10.

Please let me know either way as to whether you will be returning the form as I** L****** is holding the documentation hoping that your form will be returned. We cant allow him to wait much longer as we will miss our deadline.

Yours sincerely




J A D

Let's examine this on a line-by-line basis;'it is in my interest'(not theirs).

I will not be able to include reference on my CV(resume)? How would they know what I put on my CV? I wrote the bloody patents, I can claim anything I like.They would have to explain why my name was gone.

But they were counting on my honour, or more correctly their 'sacred conch' idea of my honour.

Apart from anything else, I already had two patent references from University work years before(ANY patents!).

Then the reinforcement of the lie about my rights.

Finally an appeal to 'sympathy' more in hope than anything else. This is the way garbage does business.

Another final phone call,attemptingn to 'persuade' me to sign.

"Any questions,just ask IL(their patent attorney)."

I replied,"Just the same I think I'll get some independent advice on this. That's the way business is done after all..."

I distinctly heard Pinky growl before he put the phone down.

No comments: