Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Rearguard?


I met a man today, somewhere in the old Empire,who definitely was one of the 'old school';somebody who'd been a soldier in the African campaigns of the twentieth century, and is now best known as a businessman of considerable standing and a philanthropist in the sense that he advises people on how best to make their fortunes.

He does it for the greater benefit of the Empire, a true patriot.

I can't help but like the man, although his value judgements about the fate of the nation are not my own.
But meeting someone like him is enough to remind me that once upon a time there was no shortage of people willing to devote themselves to the cause.

Which makes the rebellions that broke up the Political union even more remarkable; one has to ask what this breed of men has learned, and yet I cannot call them people of the past at all, despite their being old-fashioned.

I carry away two enduring images:first, the look of disgust on his coldly staring face when a vulgar ringtone went off on somebody's mobile phone.
Second , the evident pride when I noticed his Guard's Tie.

No comments: