Saturday, January 14, 2006

Channel 4 Gets It Right- At Last.


I am used to turning off Channel Four documentary programmes as quickly as possible.
They are worse than Michael Moore and The Daily Show, because they present themselves as 'authoritative', rather like very bad newspapers.

But tonight I saw a show about the growth of Iraqi Commercial TV as told by Iraqis.
Ordinary people are going to extraordinary lengths to lead ordinary lives, in the face of actual killing and intimidation.

There was a long sequence about an Iraqi 'Idol' show called Iraq Star.
In a moment of unwitting comedy, a young girl with great talent said "I hope I get to the final.Then I can go from Baghdad to Beirut!"

Really, she wasn't trying to be funny.
And when you think about it, really, it isn't.
I had tried to get her picture here, but I can't find one.
There are two pictures of the show and hundreds of foaming USA-boosting bits of nonsense.
(I mean, the US would do a lot better if they trusted the Iraqis to speak with their newfound freedom).

Anyway, one thing struck me more than anything else.
The old are cynical.They are weary. They back nobody.They are ragged,they are poor, they are still fearful.

But, even in the worst neighbourhoods, every little kid has a clean, white shirt to wear (at school?) and a neat haircut.
Somebody must still believe in a better future.

No comments: