Wednesday, February 13, 2008

God Bless America.

It was back in 1994, the Cold War had ended and the Western World was still suspicious and a little stunned.
The American Airforce was still a strong presence in England, with bases at Alconbury, Upper Heyford and points East.

I had a brand, spanking new Council Flat in the North, and was still struggling to swallow the apparent truth that I had come a cropper and lost it, lost out, nearly lost my life and my sanity.

I was a charity case.

I didn't have a proper radio, just a Walkman.
One night I felt particularly depressed and lonely, and scanned the airwaves for succour.

I found the American Forces Network, or AFN; they were upbeat. They were a million miles away.
After a basketball game, they played music.
They played someone I now know to be Beck, an album I now know to be 'Mellow Gold', and a song I will never forget:
Loser!
I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?
I fell asleep laughing that night.
With the courage to look forward once again.

So next time you see some English person going all fake American with a pickup and a caravan or a flag, remember the days when it used to mean something.

No comments: