Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I Love Ugly Betty!


In my opinion, Ugly Betty is by a long way the best show currently transmitted on any channel in the UK.
Thanks to the evolutionary 'Freeview' digital television technology(that is, not using strictly digital image reproduction but digital transmission and analogue reproduction), I have a seleciton of regular viewing which gives me at least one good show a night; Monday, ITV4 shows 'The Professionals' for those who like their guns, motors and heroes straight.
Monday and Tuesday, also ITV4, 'Andromeda', for those who enjoy their ensemble Sci-Fi reduced to a minimalist pressure-cooker of characters and challenging plots.
Until recently, BBC4 was showing 'The Avengers' on Thursday, but they stopped.
Still, it was Emma Peel, albeit in one of the silly 'in color' series.
Fridays I work nights, Saturdays I like to watch 'Monk' on BBC2, and every day twice a day on ITV3 one can watch 'Due South', but on Wednesdays, at 9PM prime-time on E4(an offshoot of Channel 4) I love to watch the perilous exploits of Ugly Betty.

She lives in a world of conflicting values and personalities, with a plot that never fails to reveal a new surprise around each corner, even if it is only a decent streak in one of the villains, and powerful, emotional stress that is uplifting as the peak at the end of some kind of roller-coaster.

All underlaid with a consuming sense of moral rightness in a world of realistically devilish influences.

Truly a superb comedy drama.

2 comments:

jomama said...

Is The Darling Buds of May still showing?

One of the finest shows I've ever
seen.

Anonymous said...

The Darling Buds Of May is still repeated from time to time.
Not my cup of tea.
Trouble is it was the favourite show of somebody I used to work for, somebody utterly insane.
Strangely, the most repeated show for the time being is 'Friends';I saw the 'Fat Monica' episodes the other day and they were actually pretty funny,something I hadn't really believed before.