Friday, September 09, 2005

Lor' Bless Yer Guvnor!

"I say, you there, peasant, we are going to run a power line over your land."
"Don't call me peasant. I know you. You were the English student at college. You went to Cambridge-or was it Oxford-and you joined a Party at college. Then you came home....."

"Now now, mister Bull, no need to get personal. I just wanted to say, we are going to build this. You don't own the land so it doesn't affect you.
They tell me it is actually beneficial to live close to power lines as they attract songbirds, which are proven to prolong gardening leave."

"I see. And if I want to sell my house?"

"Well, there is nothing to stop you selling your house..."

"Except the fuckin' pylon next door. And the crackling sound all the time."

"Never mind mister Bull..may I call you John? This is the necessary side of Progress. If we can't do a deal with the power company to grant access to the mass housing to the North..."

"What mass housing?"

"Centralised planning! It is coming! It is coming!"

"So I get trampled?"

"I knew you would understand."

"By your masses?"

"People like you! It's democratic! Anyway, at least the power company isn't to blame; we nationalised it."

"What exactly are you for?"

(Icy silence).

No comments: