Monday, February 26, 2007

Excellent work.

Driven to near exhaustion by the thankless task of trying to marry up SQL Server 6.5 (1997) to VB.NET 2005(actually not as impossible as it sounds!), I finally decided to remove the old server and replace it with the MSDE, which is the core server for SQL Server 2000.

I mounted it up after a mammoth session trawling MS, and was rewarded by more trouble.

Then I took some trouble.

I read the documentation, and installed a new instance(on my NT4 antique)with the command line arguments correctly set; the reward?

Marvellous.
The new instance was immediately transparent to Server Manager 2005 on my main computer(over my network) and I was easily able to connect.

But what's this, you might ask. MSDE has no databases or scripting tools.

No problem!
Connecting SQL Server Manager 2005 to MSDE(server 2000 is supported!) I ran an installation script on my main computer and hey presto as if by magic, a fully-populated 'pubs' database was created on the NT4 networked server through MSDE.

Better still, the database was fully available as a Visual Studio.NET data source and was completely and transparently integrated into the applications.

So if you want a network backup server for peanuts, you know what to do, eh?

No comments: