Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Prelude(Hate something,change something)

In the Summer of 2002, my boss, whom I shall term the King ,told me to apply for jobs.
I didn't really want to,but I did show a little curiosity about a Canadian Heart Valve maker in BC.
They were owned by an American company in Texas.
I started a conversation with an underling in Texas,just to build an informal relationship with the company.
He went to his boss.
His boss went to my boss.
My boss went to me.

Two hours of abuse in his office. He used words like 'pathetic' and 'resignation' and 'show me your private,personal e-mail log'. He also made veiled references to my 'reference'.

Somehow I survived,even offering my resignation and refusing to disclose my log.
He backed down,with the usual insults about my work being 'unnecessary'and me being 'unemployable'.

So now I couldn't move.I was totally at his mercy,which is what he wanted.So I decided to watch him and stay until the company folded or was taken over.At least I'd get a few more salary cheques towards Canada.

He and his wife were the Pinky and Perky of the company(old children's TV-plastic pigs).Pinky was the bad cop.Perky was the good cop.
The good cop gave me interesting assignments. Which I gobbled up so as to strengthen my CV and position.

Then in 2003,Jock,an outsider, brought in to add respectability to the company(we workers didn't realise that the King was a renowned Louse), had an idea.

As usual,the drunk rang me when I was going to bed, and said:
"Jock has had this idea about putting a chip on a valve. What do you think?"
Now,I'd been thinking about cybernetic implant power sources since 1998.
So,immediately I said,
"Use a Piezo-electric sensor,because it doesn't consume any power. With that you can take local,internal blood-pressures,monitor position and get heart sounds from inside the heart."
"Thank you Veruca, you've really come up with the goods!"

He nearly wet himself.
I had a design briefing on his desk the following morning.

Now, I thought, now things will change. Everything will be alright.

No comments: