Saturday, October 22, 2005

Thank You Mister Gates.

I am an engineer.
I use programming languages, SDKs and packages.
I have spent nine years living in hope that I would work for an employer who would supply me with the right equipment, or training, or opportunities to expand.
This has not happened.
Every initiative has been my own, financially and morally.

It is a year since I stopped working as a commercial engineer.
I have made countless applications, and one thing has become clear.

Recruitment decisions are controlled in England by lazy, prejudiced people, who, embittered by their own efforts to acquire knowledge and skills, expect applicants to possess an identical skill set plus anything else they may consider desirable, such as a skill they have admired for no rational cause in others claiming admission to the various elites.

There are many complaints about Bill Gates and Microsoft, and many allegations.

Here are some facts.
Today, I bought a fully legal edition of Microsoft Visual Studio 97 for about £200.
I already have VC++6.0, so all I've taken from this Enterprise Edition(at least that works with 2000Pro)are VB5.0,VJ++,VFoxPro(compatible with SQL/Oracle),VSourceSafe and the massive MSDN library.
It may be old, but for £200 I can acquire the skills that keep me permanently in well-paid employment for as long as I want.
Two weeks ago an employer asked for SourceSafe.
I actually had SQL6.5 as well, but this won't work except with NT4.0, even though 2000Pro is NT-based.

The point is, the End User License Agreement doesn't ask much.
Three things.
1)Don't distribute copies(steal).
2)Don't decompile(steal ideas).
3) Take anything you like and use it, sell it on, but do something useful of your own with it.

So what is the problem?He won't let you take over?Boo-bloody-hoo!

No comments: