Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Happening Shit And The Hope Of Control.

So what do we have?
A fairly secret army?
Possibly.
The fellow I used to work for threatens to sue, but he has no money and no case.
I tell him and his flunkies where to go.
I get bitten by a dog. Apparently under control.
At the same time and as these events unfold, I report on them in general and in particular.

My upstairs neighbour of fourteen years suddenly takes to slamming his doors at regular intervals, a psychological trick related to those used against Noriega in the eighties.

It's happening now.
But I'm concentrating and writing now, so it isn't working.

My ankle and hand have healed since I was tripped.
No more troubles there, although my entire collection of route notes was stolen from my truck.

Obviously, it's all random. It just 'happens' to be 'happening' now.
Oh, and e-mails promised to me have failed to materialise. Another oddity.
But I don't care.
I've got a job, for now, I might yet get a better one, and if I don't I 'happen' to be winning anyway.
And if I am fired, I have debt insurance which would mean I was still winning.
But it won't happen, because there are a few good guys left.

Also, the Landlord sent a letter to everyone recently, with contact details for enforcement officers concerned with antisocial behaviour-such as slamming doors.

So maybe I'll get my upstairs pile of crap put out on the street?
Laugh?
I nearly shat!

Now to business; I have just bought the first album by 'Arctic Monkeys', a Yorkshire band that won the Mercury Prize. They are authentic; when I first saw their video on TV without knowing who they were, I swore they were a 1977 Punk band.
One of their songs includes references to '1984', which can't be a bad thing today.

The government, meanwhile, is urging us to squeal on businesses that 'don't pay tax', a heinous crime, publicised by a TV ad campaign which is reminiscent in it's portrayal of 'criminals', of Nazi portrayal of Jews.
The crude, absurdist characterisation of the non-payer as a sneering, swarthy lout, is exactly the same as Nazi propaganda against Jews in the 30s.

And it passes unnoticed.

No comments: