Monday, September 17, 2007

In Case You Were Wondering.

MONO is a programming system set up by Novell and run as an open source implementation of C#, ASP.NET and VB.NET.
It is not very effective in my experience.
It includes many features in the IDE which appear as real but haven't actually been implemented, and it just doesn't work very well.

I've been multitasking my server; I have been running music jukebox programmes, webservers, database servers and normal applications all at the same time.
Every couple of days the system becomes so arthritic I have to reboot.
Many applications fail altogether.

So I ran the system analyser, and saw that a MONO process was taking 80% of my CPU.
This was the 'Banshee' music player.
I am now using 'Rhythmbox'.
This occupies 15% -20% tops, and automatically scans for files.
Much better.

No comments: